CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Author: Laini Taylor 
Pages: 418
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Release: September 27th 2011
Age Group: Young Adult (12-18)
Book Source: Insider @ Library (Mrs. Johnson)

        Karou lives in a world where winged creatures roam the sky and a chimaera named Brimstone. He collects all sorts of teeth for his mysterious necklaces. Unfortunately, his teeth are soon to run out.
      Karou is Brimstone's errand runner; she does anything he needs. Why? Because he is a monster that is all she has known for family since a young age. He is her family.
       Who is she? She doesn't know. Her hair grows blue- naturally from the roots.She speaks many languages- languages of humans, and monsters alike. She fills sketchbooks with dramatic drawings of monsters that are real- but a secret for her to keep. She is a mystery, to herself and everyone else. But that is the question she keeps getting asked. Who is she?  What is she?
      But when black fiery hand prints are appearing on doors all over the world, on portals a catastrophe is soon to strike. And Karou doesn't know what it is and how to stop it. When a wonderful stranger named Akiva finds Karou, she haunts him. Her face, is a face of beauty. Together they find hidden secrets, dangerous love and scariest of all, they may discover who she is. Whether Karou likes who she is or not; together Akiva and herself are going to find out.

      First of all, I would like to thank my schools wonderful librarian: Mrs. Johnson. She let me borrow the schools copy of this book before it was processed, because she knew how much I wanted  needed to read it. Also because it takes forever to process. So I appreciate her kindness and hope she will do the same in the future!

      Daughter of Smoke and Bone has been on my to-read list for quite some time. I had hoped it would fulfill my great expectations of this new series. And indeed it did! And more! This new fantastical world of mythological creatures twisted my mind and gave me joy. This book was beyond wonderful. 
       
      I loved the voice that Laini Taylor incorporated into this book. Her writing was great- her style told the story and just sucked me in and I could not put it down. This mystery is one of the best books I have read ever. I cannot wait for the sequel!

      Karou is definitely going on my list of book character that I would want for a a best friend- right next to Katniss from The Hunger Games and Mara Dyer from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Karou was unlike any character I have ever 'met'. Her stubbornness and capability was so endearing and awesome to watch  unravel throughout the book. Karou definitely grew as a character throughout the book and made her even more enticing at the end.

      The thing I enjoyed the very most was the unpredictability of this entire story.  Just as soon as you started thinking you knew what came next, Laini Taylor just flipped you around and you landed on your head. Sometimes unpredictability in a book can be annoying and just irritate me but this did the opposite; it encouraged me to continue reading.
     Laini Taylor did a fantastic job of snagging the reader right away and left you wanting more at the end of the book. Definitely a book you NEED to read! I can't wait for the sequel. Some writers just cannot write fast enough!


I will be counting the days until 
Days of Blood and Starlight, the sequel comes out! 
November 6th 2012! 
Mark it on your calendar, 
because this is a MUST-READ!
Check out the the author,
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.”

 “Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”
 “It's not like there's a law against flying."..."Yes there is. The law of gravity.”
 “Your soul sings to mine. My soul is yours, and it always will be, in any world.
No matter what happens. I need you to remember that I love you.”
Did you enjoy this review? Tell us!

2 comments:

ShadyLane

Cool blog! great review! the book covers are so eerie and mysterious, i love it!
New follower!

http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

Angela's Anxious Life

I can't wait for the 2nd book either!!!! That same day my favorite video game Halo 4 is being released too! BEST day in 2012!!

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments, don't reveal your private information, etc., etc.! You know the drill. Thanks. :)

The KAJA