CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies #3) by Pittacus Lore

Release Date: August 21st, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: ARC
Source: Given by Publisher/Book Club
Pages: 416
Age Group: 14-17 Years
Previous Book in the Series: The Power of Six
Recommended To: Extreme Sci-fi fans, Fans of Ender's Game, People who have married the genre of Dystopia, etc., etc.
_____________

Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
_____________

Let me just say that there is a lot of butt-whooping in here. So be prepared.

Until the day I met John Smith, Number Four, I'd been on the run alone, hiding and fighting to stay alive.
Together, we are much more powerful. But it could only last so long before we had to separate to find the others. . . .
I went to Spain to find Seven, and I found even more, including a tenth member of the Garde who escaped from Lorien alive. Ella is younger than the rest of us, but just as brave. Now we're looking for the others—including John.
But so are they.
They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They caught me in New York—but I escaped.
I am Number Six.
They want to finish what they started.
But they'll have to fight us first.-Summary from Barnes and Noble

Okay, okay: what do I have to say about one of the most anticipated novels of the 2012 year? (Of course, since the world might end on December 21st, it could very well be one of the most anticipated novels of our whole entire lives. ;D). 
Let's just start on a good note and point to the fact that I spent a boat-load of time imagining Number Four as Alex Pettyfer (and I still have yet to watch the movie. Ugh. Woes of a teenage book reviewer.) 
But really, I know that you are all seething with jealousy right now, so let's cut to the chase-man, did this book pass by fast. It took a day to get through 416 pages, but it still felt impossibly short. That could be because there is so much intense action in here, you feel like you are going to die from adrenaline overdose. (Is that possible?) It came to the point where every time they were getting anywhere closer to getting the whole gang together, some guy would just come up and punch them in the face or something. (Sometimes, it wasn't even Mogs.) This was definitely pre-made and targeted at the testosterone side of the equation. 
Writing was fast paced and mediocre. But it captured my attention, so I guess that's a point for this one. But I do have to say that the switching of perspectives was for the first time, kind of effective, except for the fact that Number Four sounded so much like a girl. I am seriously starting to wonder if Pittacus Lore is a woman. 
My favorite character is definitely Marina. She is the easiest for me to relate to (shy? sheltered? shy?). If you remember, she was discovered by Six at the end of the end of The Power of Six and was revealed to be Number Seven. Don't forget Number Ten, Ella. She's rather important too. 
A lot of cliche twists and turns in The Rise of Nine, but it wasn't too horribly bad. Lots of action, romance frequent but definitely held back, and tons of characters that were surprisingly easy to keep a track of. The ending came suddenly with no definite cliff-hanger, but this is some sci-fi fluff that I will definitely stay with until the very last book. -Review by AnQi

We'd love to know what you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments, don't reveal your private information, etc., etc.! You know the drill. Thanks. :)

The KAJA