CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin



Author: Michelle Hodkin
Pages: 452
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release: September 27th 2011
Book Source: Library
Age Group: Young Adult (12-18)


     In the book The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, Mara Dyer is crumbling. She is haunted by hallucinations of her friends Rachel, Claire and Jude. They're dead; her friends died in a terrible accident. An old creaky building collapsed while Mara and her friends were exploring. But Mara, she survived. Days after the tragic misfortune, Mara wakes from a coma suffering from amnesia; She doesn't recall anything of that night. She catches only glimpses in her dreams. Nightmares. Everything was an accident. An Accident. Accident. Her memories of her friends pursue her. 
     Mara and her family decide to up and move from Laurelton Rhode Island, to Miami Florida. She believe this change will help her move on from everything and start over. She was dead wrong. Moving to Florida worsens her hallucinations; she believes there is something more wrong with her than PTSD. She fears that the building collapse; wasn't just an unfortunate accident, nor will it be the last.
     Mara is completely and utterly alone aside from a boy named Noah, who is out for her fall for him. Mara is opposed to any prospect of love, she avoids it at all costs.  With everything getting worse, and her world is falling apart; How can she afford not to fall? 

     This book reminded me why I love to read, I seriously read this 450 page book in one day. This book was suspenseful, surprising, dark, mysterious and hilarious at the same time. You feel Mara Dyer's emotions and live through her perspective. Michelle Hodkin is an absolute BRILLIANT author and her way of writing is so addictive. Her words are amazing.. Mara is an extremely troubled, quirky and character that I could relate to.

      I LITERALLY wish I was as cool as Mara. The plot of this book was bewildering and kept you on the edge if your seat, just hanging onto every single word.  The romance that dominated this book was invigorating and the sweet banter left you wishing it was you (no joke).
I absolutely despise it when amazing authors leave you hanging on a cliff hanger on this amazing book full of bewildering mystery that will leave you guessing until the very last freaking page!

     I am so very angry at Michelle Hodkin, (but I still love her) she literally KILLED me at the ending. It was horrible, yet amazing. I literally ran around my house hitting things expressing my inner torment. My mother even called me ridiculous... Anyways, Moving on.
I would definitely say this book is definitely one of the best books I have read in a Very, Very, Very, LONG time. I loved it, I still love it and will forever love it. Seriously, if you haven't read this, SHAME UPON YOU. READ IT. NOW. 



“I was going to kiss him, and I was going to regret it. But at that moment, I couldn't bring myself to care.” 
“Did I just see you litter?'
'I'm driving a hybrid. It cancels out.” 
 “Why do you always look like you just rolled out of bed?'
'Because usually I have.' And the way he raised his eye-brow at me made me blush.
'Classy,' I said.”
 “You're mistaking bitter animosity for heartfelt affection.” 
Michelle Hodkin,

Did you like this review? Tell us! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments, don't reveal your private information, etc., etc.! You know the drill. Thanks. :)

The KAJA