CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 1, 2011

Fury (Fury #1) by Elizabeth Miles

Fury (Fury, #1) Release Date: August 30th, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 352 Pages
_____________
Everything should be perfect in Ascension, Maine, the little town that Emily Winters and Chase Singer live in. The snow is falling, the holiday settling in, and everything is as it should be. Except for the fact that Emily's best friend's boyfriend seems to be falling for her, and Chase's old best friend performed suicide, life is continuing on its bumpy road. When three beautiful girls come to Ascension, however, their lives are turned upside down. They've chosen people to pay.
And Emily and Chase are chosen.
Fury was a pretty ordinary book in all of its aspects-the characters were bland, the setting quaint but without depth, and the plot predictable and slow. I found myself a couple of hundred pages in and Miles still did not reveal who these 'three beautiful girls' were, but I had my guesses.

The characters: Emily was a bit too selfish for my taste. So was Chase. When something bad happened to either of them, I had a twinge of guilt, because I kind of thought they deserved it-which is not what you're supposed to feel when something bad happens to one of the characters. And when something good happened to them, I had a feeling like disgust, like why should they deserve this?

The magic (well, the 'lack of magic') I should say, was a bit disappointing for me. I love fantasy, so in Fury, I was expecting something Greek mythology themed, which did show up, but very briefly. Mostly it was a blend of paranormal that wasn't exactly to my taste. It was probably more my opinions and biases that made this a not-so-favorite book, so you might still enjoy it even though I didn't like it.
The romance was cute, but too happily-ever-after. It was like Emily knew in a split second who her soul mate was, which wasn't very realistic.

I still see the potential in a book like Fury. That's why I'll be watching out for the sequel and waiting expectantly for it. I hope its better than Fury, which was a debut, to let you know, and it will hopefully satisfy the curiosty that was left with this first novel.

1 comments:

UK

Fury alternates between two teens, Emily and Chase, and carefully sketches in the details of their ordinary, every day lives. It is surprising to discover that the mythological beings are not the main characters of this novel -- instead, they hover on the fringe, leaving the focus on the remarkably human and flawed leads. Elizabeth Miles brings her cast to life, making them seem more like people than characters.

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments, don't reveal your private information, etc., etc.! You know the drill. Thanks. :)

The KAJA